Only a week and a bit ’til Christmas! We’re nearly there!
Here’s the second last tip we’ll give you before Santa arrives, and it’s all about Google Analytics. What’s Google Analytics? Eek, well, if you don’t already know, it’s the world’s most popular website statistics program. It will tell you things like how many people visited your site, how long they stayed on it, and where they came from. You can read more about it here. We’re presuming you know a bit about it, so brush up on that link first if you don’t know what we’re talking about!
e-CBD’s seven hot tips for tracking website visitors using Google Analytics
- Have you got Google Analytics installed on your website? If not, that’s the first thing to do. If we built your site, we’ll almost certainly have set things up for you, so contact us if you’re not sure. Otherwise, ask whoever built your site where you login. We can help if you’re not sure.
- Set up reports to email you once a week. That’s the easiest thing you can do. They come in a pretty little PDF document and they’re full of graphs and charts to help you make sense of things.
- Compare your traffic to the past. That’ll help you work out whether you’re up or down. It’s always a good idea to see you how did this month compared to last month.
- Get your ‘time on site’ stats up. The longer people spend on your website, the better it is for your business. This is an important stat to keep an eye on andthen work on. (Hint: videos are a great way to keep people on your website for a long time).
- Investigate your referring sites. Who is sending you traffic? You need to know. Same goes for knowing which keywords people searched in Google to find you.
- Setup goal conversion tracking. You can use Analytics to see how many of the people who came to your website then filled out a contact form, or bought something. You can even see which marketing tactics resulted in the most conversions. This info is invaluable.
- Explore Google Webmaster Tools. There’s a whole other world of info out there about how many people searched for your site, even if they didn’t even visit it! Webmaster Tools is a hidden gem every website owner should know about. It’s also the way Google will communicate with you if there’s a problem with your site.
Want Google Analytics help?
Sweet, call us, we can help explain any of this! Our number is 1300 733 088 for advice (or just hit us up with a reply to this email).
What’s the next tip?
Next week we’ll tell you everything you need to know about making your website mobile-friendly!
Marilyn, Matt and the e-CBD team