Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is the process of increasing your website’s visibility tosearch engines for those important keywords and phrases that are relevant to your business. It is what will help get your business ranking at the top of the Google search results.
This article outlines our top 10 SEO tips:
1. Create Unique, Descriptive, Accurate Page Titles
- Accurately describe the page’s content
- Create unique title tags for each page
- Use brief, but descriptive titles
2. Use the Description META Tag
- Accurately summarize the page’s content – Write a description that would both inform and interest users if they saw your description meta tag as a snippet in a search result.
- Use unique descriptions for each page – Having a different description meta tag for each page helps both users and Google,
3. Get People to Link to You
- Search for the keywords you’re targeting and note the top 30 results. If appropriate and likely, ask them for a link.
- Search for the keywords you’re targeting and note the top 30 results. Go to www.yahoo.com and check the backlinks of each of them using the “link:http://www.website.com” query. See who comes up and if they’re appropriate, write to them nicely and offer to swap links.
- Get people to use descriptive anchor text when they link to you. Eg. e-CBD Web Design is a great business.
- ‘Click here’ search
4. Use Friendly URLs
- Use the keywords you want to be found for in the names of your pages. Eg. http://www.e-cbd.com/web-design-services.html
5. Make Your Site Easy to Navigate
- Make sure each page of your site is reachable from at least one text links somewhere.
6. Create Interesting Content!
- Write content about whatever it is you want to be found for. Google won’t list your site for information you don’t talk about.
- Write the kind of content people will want to link to!
- Start a blog with useful industry information, tips or news
7. Use Heading Tags Appropriately
- Heading tags are used to present structure on the page to users. There are six sizes of heading tags, beginning with <h1>, the most important, and ending with <h6>, the least important.
- Read up on them and use them properly (and make sure your web designer does too) – Put your keywords in them!
8. Use ‘Alt’ Tags on Your Images
- Don’t stuff them full of keywords
- Be descriptive and accurate
9. Use Google’s Webmaster Tools
- Check out https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/